Mowbray Community Church (MCC) is looking for a motivated and committed Christian with a heart to see young people understand the Kingdom of God and a passion to grow a the youth ministry in a large and expanding church.
Purpose of the Role
|Job Title||Youth Ministry Lead|
|Line Management and Accountability||Senior Leadership Team member overseeing Youth Ministry|
|Hours of Work||25 hours per week (in agreement with line manager)|
|Salary||£13.50 per hour|
|Application Date||November 17th, 2023|
Overall purpose of the post:
- To lead, oversee and grow an effective youth ministry at MCC.
- To develop the youth ministry such that young people can both come to faith and flourish as enthusiastic disciples. He or she will be expected to model a lively and committed faith in Jesus Christ, that impacts all areas of life, and be an active member of the worshipping congregation at MCC.
- To lead, develop, encourage, and coordinate a committed and able team of volunteers and individual ministry leaders to accomplish these goals – providing an overall vision and leading a strategy to achieve this.
- Lead: To oversee an effective and growing youth ministry. The Youth Ministry Lead will have overall responsibility for the vision of the work and implementing a strategy to achieve this goal, working closely with volunteers and ministry leaders, as well as the Leadership Team of MCC. He or she will be part of MCC’s Ministry Operations Team (MOT), an important decision-making body within the church.
- Care: To ensure excellent pastoral care for the young people. Being part of and overseeing a pastoral care team for the young people and providing support and encouragement to the ministry volunteers and leaders.
- Plan: To work with the volunteer leaders to plan and organise successful programmes of groups, events and residentials, ensuring necessary administrative tasks; record-keeping; budget-management and communication are undertaken to the necessary high standard.
- Initiate: To create and deliver new events and initiatives as appropriate that cohere with the wider vision and strategy of the Church and youth ministry.
- Motivate: To encourage the large number of volunteers that enable the ministries to function effectively. This will include recruiting new volunteers; running relevant volunteer training and managing volunteers.
- Witness: To develop initiatives and cooperate with others in Harrogate as appropriate to reach out to unchurched youth in Harrogate.
- Administrate: Ensure all youth ministry activities are well organised, properly administered, and relevant legislation and MCC polices are adhered to (such as Health & Safety, Safeguarding and GDPR) and relevant Risk Assessments completed.
- Communicate: To regularly update the youth and their parents making them aware of any relevant information. To ensure good lines of communication with the volunteers, ministry leaders and other staff. The Youth Ministry Lead will update the Leadership and MOT on a monthly basis and will meet weekly with his or her line manager.
- Cooperate: To maintain and develop links with other Churches and Secondary Schools. Liaising and where appropriate partnering with other youth leaders and supporting networks such as Net Makers and HG8 Youth. To undertake other tasks, commensurate with the post as required by the Pastor, Operations Manager or SLT.
MCC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post holder will be required to take care to safeguard their own safety and that of others with whom they work and to co operate with those designated with responsibility for health and safety. The successful applicant will be subject to checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Knowledge, qualifications, skills and expertise:
|General||A mature Christian, who values the authority of Scripture, prayer and worship. A person committed to their own ongoing walk with God, and excited about encouraging young people in discipleship. Someone who is passionate about youth and children’s ministry and has a vision and strategy to take the work at MCC forward. A strong desire or “calling” to serve God in this position.|
|Experience||Experience of involvement in leading Youth Work in a Christian/Church context. Experience of working with teams of volunteers.||Experienced leading a large Church based youth group or ministry. Experience of leading and managing large groups of volunteers. Experience of working in a large church or Christian organisation. Experienced in teaching and discipling.|
|Qualifi-cations||Youth work or theological qualifications to degree level or equivalent. A current driving licence.|
|Specialist Skills||IT skills (Microsoft Office).AV / multimedia skills. Social Media literate.|
|Personal Skills / Character||Well organised with good planning and time management skills. A skilled communicator, who is relational and approachable. Someone who can work well with people of all backgrounds and different ages, including the parents and families of young people. A leader who can recruit, train, lead, manage and motivate a team of volunteers. A person who is hard-working, perseveres and enjoys a challenge. Flexible: Open to change and flexible about working hours. A team player, with the humility to learn from the insights and wisdom of others. Someone who can oversee several tasks at once and be able to delegate and co-ordinate effectively to spread the workload and achieve goals. A person with a professional approach to their work, accepting of their accountability to the Leadership Team and responsibility to the wider church.|
If you are interested in being the Youth Ministry Lead at MCC, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, and a covering letter that addresses the following:
- Why you believe you would be a good fit for this role, including how God has led you and been shaping you up to this point in life.
- The strengths, skills, qualifications, experience and expertise that would equip you to perform the role well.
- What most excites you about taking on the role and what would be your key priorities.